Am 21.01.2012 14:40, schrieb gene heskett:
> On Saturday, January 21, 2012 07:15:30 AM Fox Mulder did opine:
>
>> Am 21.01.2012 00:22, schrieb gene heskett:
>>> Greetings all;
>>>
>>> I have thrown a schematic together, but before I commit to the
>>> connector for the cable, which will need at least 5 conductors, GND,
>>> Vcc5, A, B, Z signals and needs to be fairly compact, I am drawn to
>>> the pcb mounted version of the RJ-11 connector.  But sitting here, I
>>> realized that although it is supposed to be a 6 pin connector, I have
>>> never seen one with more than 4 positions populated, nor have I seen
>>> The matching 6 wire cable. I considered the RJ-45 too, but have not
>>> seen any pcb mount jacks in my neck of these woods.  A db9 is just
>>> plain too darned big unless the backshell is thrown in the corner.
>>
>> If you don't need too much current over the cable than RJ45 is a good
>> connector. The pcb mounted connector should be available at most
>> electronic shops and you can just use finished network cables to connect
>> the device.
>> But be sure to use network cables which are specified for 1000MBit
>> because 10/100MBit only needs 4 wires and therefore many old cables
>> won't have all the 8 wires. ;)
>>
>> Ciao,
>>      Rainer
>
> Any cat5 cable I've ever seen has 4 twisted pairs on this side of the pond.
> This place has about 400 feet of cat5 strung about and its all just
> 100mbit.  I think the router I bought last summer can do a gigabit but I
> don't believe either side of it is running that fast.
>
> I did find some crimp on 6 wire plugs at the shack last night, and some 25
> foot wall to phone cables but the only females were either in the usual 2"
> square boxes or in line couplings, half of which were still too big if they
> had been pried apart.  So I settled on a 5 way inline with setscrews to
> retain the wires.  A lot easier to breadboard for testing too.  Later last
> night I fine tuned the .brd file a bit, finally figuring out how adjust a
> hole so it didn't snap to the grid which because of that parts foot print I
> had to set to 0.05 inches.
>
> But when I tried to run pcbgcode --config I think it was, I got a missing
> drill.cfg (or something similar) so when I am awake next, I'll need to read
> up on that.  What I did read seems to indicate all drill holes are in the
> same file regardless of size, and there is only one 'layer' for unplated
> holes.  I would have thought it would put each size of drill in its own
> layer so that one could mount a given size drill, and run the output file
> for that size of drill.  Probably something I don't understand yet.  The
> only real problem I had with the board layout is that I had to repeatedly
> ripup the individual nets by hand, all of them, before the auto function
> would even try to fix things when I moved parts to actually fit the board
> real estate I can use.  Seems to me if there is a Drc error, it should do
> [...]

I only wanted to say that the standard for 10/100MBit only uses 2 pairs
and 1000MBit was the first to use all 4 pairs. But you are right that
most cat5 cables used all 4 pairs way before 1000MBit over copper was
available. But i have some old cables that still uses 2 pairs which
could lead to an error for your case. :)

It was pcb-gcode-setup.ulp but maybe it wraps around with --config.
The drills are all in the same drill file. But for each new drill size a
tool change code is inserted. So you could extract the code for each
drill size into separate files or use the tool change command.

To be honest i never liked the output of the auto-router and route all
layouts by hand. The auto-router could be useful for complex layouts but
not for simpler boards.

Ciao,
     Rainer