Gentle persons:

Several items were called out recently as being show stoppers for
LinuxCNC. I do not aspire to learn the inner workings of LinuxCNC well
enough to contribute to discussion of the first item, "No jog on feedhold".

However, the second item "Taper thread pitches are measured along the
hypotenuse ???" is an issue I think this bear of limited brain ought to
be able to understand without being a LinuxCNC guru.

At best I'm a dilettante with machine tools and certainly I'm no expert
with a lathe. That not withstanding, long, long ago, I was taught to cut
a tapered thread on a manual lathe by shifting the tailstock over. It
seems to me this would necessarily mean the thread pitch was measured
"along the hypotenuse" since the line of motion of the saddle is
parallel to that hypotenuse.

Not being able to imagine (I said limited brain, remember) how else they
cut tapered threads on a lathe in the old days, I expect the standard
specifications (ASME B1.20.1, fer instance) of the times would reflect this.

Fast forward to today. I can't imagine that the standard specifications
would have been rewritten just because CNC machining has been
introduced. Unfortunately, ASME wants me to pay 21USD for the privilege
of obtaining and reading B1.20.1 and I'd rather buy groceries for dinner
than own an ASME specification.

Could someone please enlighten me?

Regards,
Kent