----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent A. Reed" <knbr...@erols.com>

> Several items were called out recently as being show stoppers for
> LinuxCNC. I do not aspire to learn the inner workings of LinuxCNC well
> enough to contribute to discussion of the first item, "No jog on
> feedhold".
>
> However, the second item "Taper thread pitches are measured along the
> hypotenuse ???" is an issue I think this bear of limited brain ought to
> be able to understand without being a LinuxCNC guru.

(a) The jog in feedhold really is a significant pain. You do need to move
the tool away from the work when milling or turning "stringy" materials.
Even something simple like deep-drilling with pecks can snarl up the tool
with swarf. Of course the general solution could be very complex (e.g. if
offsets were to be changed while feedheld) but some simple rules would cover
a lot of cases without obvious risks to a thinking user.

(b) For most practical tapered pipe threads no one will notice the pitch
error. On one hand I think it is unusual CNC behaviour in threading (so
possible difficulties for CAM users without a special postprocessor). But on
the other hand the case of the angle not being small but being 90deg does
appear to allow cutting of scrolls - has anyone ever tried this?

John Prentice

.