On Sat, 2012-02-25 at 23:41 -0600, Jon Elson wrote:
> > On Saturday, February 25, 2012 02:36:41 PM Kirk Wallace did opine:
> >
> >>  I also have my father's darkroom
> >> equipment, but getting it all working again could be a whole other
> time
> >> and money sink.
> Well, getting enough working to contact print some litho film from
> some sort of master, perhaps a laser printer output,

I don't think laser printer output is nearly fine enough for .005" lines
and spaces, at least for a contact print.

>  shouldn't be a huge deal.  You need a vacuum frame, or even a piece
> of glass with a chunk of foam rubber to apply even pressure
> to hold the film against the master.  Room light for a few seconds can
> be your exposure source.  You need litho developer, you can generally
> skip the stop bath, and you need fixer.  Wash in running water, hang
> to dry.
>
> Metal/porcelain trays should be easy to clean and use, plastic trays
> may get brittle after a while.
>
> So, the biggest problem might be getting the film and chemicals in
> small quantities.
> I'm now getting chemistry from Xpedex, and buying recently expired
> Kodak
> PRD film
> off eBay.
>
> Jon

I'm thinking of a single line mask scaled up by 25x taped to a box with
a strobe inside. Then mount the target to a rotary table and flash each
line in sequence through a camera lens to get the proper scale. It could
take a long time to do 1000 lines, but I think I know of some software
that could automate the process.

this link:
http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Emulsion/emulsion.html

links to this emulsion supplier:
http://www.artcraftchemicals.com/products/
http://www.artcraftchemicals.com/products/products-page/rockland-products/photographic-emulsions1/liquid-light-emulsion/

Or, I suppose I could use film bounded to the encoder disk.

It looks like Amazon has developer and fixer for B&W film.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html