I just tried to use a Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Live CD to do an install on a
computer to help me debug a touch screen issue.

The CD got about 3/4 of the way through the install and it misread
something and the install aborted.  :-(

So I made a USB stick drive with the Ubuntu 10.04 Live CD image and it
worked great.

  Ubuntu 10.04 installs in about 1/4 of the time with a stick drive and
I had no errors on the first try...

Gotta love that!

I'd consider making a bootable USB stick drive and put the LinuxCNC Live
CD on the stick drive.

I think you might be able to use these directions, but substitute the
LinuxCNC live install ISO instead of the
Ubuntu Live install ISO and write the image to the stick drive.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

I could be wrong, but if I am, you will find out in about 5 minutes.

Dave