On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 05:58:06PM +0200, yann jautard wrote:

> so why not writing it down clearly in the iso name ? don't you think
> "ubuntu-10.04-linuxcnc2.5.0-i386.iso" would have been a more
> representative name ?

Yes you are right, it would be more representative.

But let me go on and fully answer your question.  In my opinion the
only purpose of the CD is that new installs have a configuration that
allows updating to the latest version of linuxcnc and every other
package with trivial ease by clicking OK when the update manager
pops up.

I have found that sometimes people mistakenly think that the best way
to upgrade linuxcnc is to get a new iso and reinstall the whole
operating system.  This is time-consuming, very expensive in terms of
bandwidth cost (linuxcnc package is 4MB, full OS is 700MB),
error-prone in terms of getting a download and CD burn with the right
checksums, and it wipes out their machine configurations and other
settings that would be preserved just fine if they upgraded correctly.

It changes a two-minute upgrade (five minutes for major release
changes like 2.4 -> 2.5) into hours of work.

I further feel that if I put 2.5.0 in the name of the cd image, it
reinforces this mistaken practice and users will watch for and expect
a new cd image containing 2.5.1 etc etc.

So to everyone currently running Lucid or Hardy and thinking about
downloading the new CD, again let me point you to

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpdatingTo2.5

> anyway, lots of thanks for the work done :)

Welcome!