Yes…  The download instructions in general are pretty scattered and confusing.

There are three different methods: upgrade an existing install, fresh install
from LiveCD, and fresh install with Ubuntu CD followed by linuxcnc_install.sh.
Each of these can be done with several different distros (Lucid and Hardy), and
several different LinuxCNC versions, and for sim or realtime.  And that's not
yet considering the "poweruser/developer" stuff like the buildbot and the git
repo, compile-from-source and run-in-place…  This information is scattered
across a couple of www.linuxcnc.org "Download" pages and several Wiki pages,
plus the Getting Started document (in 5 languages!).

The instructions could do a much better job describing these methods, how to
choose and how to proceed...  But I'm not the guy to be the editor-in-chief for
this.

On Apr 3, 2012, at 11:01 , John Thornton wrote:

> Wouldn't that be a good idea to put this info on the download page
> instead of assuming people would do the sensible thing and not download
> the LiveCD if they have 2.4 installed?
>
> John
>
> On 4/3/2012 11:21 AM, Chris Radek wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 05:58:06PM +0200, yann jautard wrote:
>>> so why not writing it down clearly in the iso name ? don't you think
>>> "ubuntu-10.04-linuxcnc2.5.0-i386.iso" would have been a more
>>> representative name ?
>> Yes you are right, it would be more representative.
>>
>> But let me go on and fully answer your question.  In my opinion the
>> only purpose of the CD is that new installs have a configuration that
>> allows updating to the latest version of linuxcnc and every other
>> package with trivial ease by clicking OK when the update manager
>> pops up.
>>
>> I have found that sometimes people mistakenly think that the best way
>> to upgrade linuxcnc is to get a new iso and reinstall the whole
>> operating system.  This is time-consuming, very expensive in terms of
>> bandwidth cost (linuxcnc package is 4MB, full OS is 700MB),
>> error-prone in terms of getting a download and CD burn with the right
>> checksums, and it wipes out their machine configurations and other
>> settings that would be preserved just fine if they upgraded correctly.
>>
>> It changes a two-minute upgrade (five minutes for major release
>> changes like 2.4 ->  2.5) into hours of work.
>>
>> I further feel that if I put 2.5.0 in the name of the cd image, it
>> reinforces this mistaken practice and users will watch for and expect
>> a new cd image containing 2.5.1 etc etc.
>>
>> So to everyone currently running Lucid or Hardy and thinking about
>> downloading the new CD, again let me point you to
>>
>> http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpdatingTo2.5
>>

>>> anyway, lots of thanks for the work done :)
>> Welcome!

Sebastian Kuzminsky