Kent,
thanks, but I found the way through a hint from Jeff Epler and
translated some messages this afternoon. There are no major problems.
Every message has to be treated online and will be checked right away,
so batch working is not possible (download and saving back). The only
thing is, if I don't know what the English sentence means, it's hard to
interpret (e.g., 'Coordinated mode' or 'Teleop mode'). In some cases,
there may not even be a German word  for lack of exact definition (what
exactly is a joint? As a German word, it means a marihuana or haschisch
cigarette).

In any case, flowing text like in manuals is easier and more fluently to
translate than single messages without knowing the context in which they
will appear.

Peter