On Sunday, April 15, 2012 08:21:17 AM andy pugh did opine:

> On 1 April 2012 16:24, gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> >> http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/01/us/pacific-yacht-rescue/index.html
> >
> > Not good.  Disabled in seas like that, they'll either need a tug, or
> > to abandon. 400 miles out is a long way for a tug.
>
> They rigged the emergency steering and then jury-rigged the main
> steering. In the end they still arrived in port earlier than the race
> organisers expected, and set sail in the next leg fully repaired.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGl0ay04q9E
> (fast-forward to 3min)

Not on my connection. :)

That's good.  And that, to me is a small boat for open water.

> Jane, (who was, ironically, the crew doctor) is still in hospital with
> a punctured lung, ruptured spleen and 4 fractured vertebrae, but is
> expected to make a full, if slow, recovery.

A year maybe, with surgeries to bridge the vertebrae & likely never be the
same.  But she must be made of sturdy stuff too.  I wish her well.

Cheers, Gene
You are a fluke of the universe; you have no right to be here.