On Sat, 2012-04-21 at 09:17 -0700, Terry Christophersen wrote:
> With dependable tool changes on a HNC. the stop latch (under the cover on the
> operator side of the carrage)
> is usually the thing to get right.Adjustments are made by removing the long
> black cover on the right
> side of the carrage.Under here there is a round plug with a hex socket,BUT
> remember to loosen the
> lock set screw that comes down from the top.
> If the turret works once or twice correctly then your problem is more than
> likely mechanical rather than
> computer related.
> A combination of the magnetic sensor and the stop cushion is more than likely
> the issue.
> What I do if I had to remove the sensor for some reason is try to get the
> turret to work as
> best as you can without the stop cushion(just to make sure the sensor is very
> close to working)
> then fine tune with the stop cushion.
> It takes a little while but once you get the stop working correctly the
> turret will be 100 percent reliable
>
> Terry

On mine, I loosen the screw for the magnet then note the actual tool
position. I rotate the magnet forward (I forget which way) until the
tool number matches the actual position and continue until the number
changes to 0 or the next tool number. I back off a little to get the
proper tool number back again. This way the logic can make a match early
enough to activate the stop pawl in time. If the match isn't done in
time, the table continues to rotate.

See here for the lock screw location:
http://www.wallacecompany.com/cnc_lathe/HNC/maint_man/

In case you haven't heard me say it before, if your seals are over three
years old they should be replaced (or at least checked that they are
still soft and without cracks). It made a big difference on my lathe.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html