Greets all;

Does anyone have any links in their bookmarks that might give me a 'rule of
thumb' at least for BP nipples using #209 primers?  I have the 2nd one at
the "all the cylindrical work done" stage, and so far a single #74 drill
(0.0235") in the center of the end of it, which is obviously smaller than a
factory nipple has, with that one being about a #67, and 2 more that same
size on the sides so they blow out thru the circular gap between the breech
plug and the end of the nipple.  I'm out of #67 and #68 drill bits with
only 2 indexes, chinese of course & only 1 out of 3 actually sharp.  So
instead of drilling one hole all the way thru, I thought I'd drill 2 all
the way thru giving 5 .0235" vent holes.

I tried the first of these nipple designs out Monday and got a 2" group,
but with 5 #68 holes, the blow back is pretty strong, backing the striker
up and lifting the primer plumb clear of the nipple with only a 50Gr load
of BlackHorn 209.  That of course lets out quite a bit of gas, none of
which seemed to get to me although there was quite a cloud of it the breeze
carried into my face for a couple seconds.

I've considered cobbling up a latch for the striker so that when it comes
down, its snap locked, holding the primer in place, requiring the latch to
be released to cock it again.

The TC Black Diamonds are not exactly a closed breech design, so the latch
it closed idea is a good one, just need to work out the details.  That's
what you get for something that wally sold for $200 several years ago, but
it still shoots better than the $600 Omega they just put a new barrel on
since the OEM barrel was damaged from the gitgo.  It shot a 3" group Monday
with the same load the Black Diamond used for a 2" group, but hey, that is
about 3 feet smaller than it did OOTB with the damaged barrel.

Anyway, this is about flash hole sizes.

Does anybody have any comments/links to offer?

Cheers, Gene
Try to get all of your posthumous medals in advance.