On Thu, 24 May 2012 10:12:27 -0400
gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, May 24, 2012 09:56:21 AM dave did opine:

<snip>

> > Most of the guys I know are using CCI Magnum #11 caps and getting
> > good ignition.
>
> I have a #11 nipple for this one too, but the CCI #11 Magnum hasn't
> the fire to do anything but a noticeable hangfire at best.  I tried
> it twice, the first time there was a 3/4 second hangfire, the 2nd I
> wound up unscrewing the breech and putting about 10Gr of 777 in, and
> rather forcibly screwing the breech back in.  That fired nicely, and
> while it was a bit of a PIMA to load the 777 first, then the BH209,
> the resultant accuracy was much improved.  Pacing the barrel heating,
> I fired nearly a full card of bullets, winding up with a 10 shot
> group of just over 2" at 50 yards that day.  BH209 being a smokeless
> but with added smoke, seems to heat the barrel faster than the other
> black subs, so 6 shots were enough to warm it nicely, potentially
> damaging the sabot by melting.

Ugh! Hang fires are scary. Most unsettling!

Those aren't bad groups even at 50 yds. I've got .22's that won't do
better even off a machine rest; about 2.5 x 2.5 inches for 30 shots.

I'm fairly convinced that 5 gr or so of FFFg down the barrel followed
by the correct charge of your favorite powder is the way to go. Most of
the BP substitutes seem to need an extra push. Even the military uses
BP as an initiator for large bore stuff.
Since sulfur is added to BP to aid in ignition and really doesn't do
much else I've considered using carbon disulfide to extract the sulfur
from BP and then using a small amount of real BP as an initiator.
I think it would burn cleaner. Of course, the easy way to do this is to
add energy by using 10% smokeless to make things burn hotter.