On Thursday, May 24, 2012 09:56:21 AM dave did opine:

> I'd feel better is the cover/latch had a gas vent to move gas away from
> the shooter if something ruptures. Some muzzleloaders drill a small
> vent hole coaxial with the drum; apparently it helps ignition but I
> don't know why. There was a story in "Muzzle Blasts" about a
> muzzleloader the owner called "old butt burner". It really spewed a
> flame to the right when it fired. The shooter to the right was bending
> over with his rear too close to the vent and he did a dive over his
> bench when it went off.
> The cleanest solution I've seen was a .25 pistol cartridge (CF) used to
> ignite the charge. About at the end of the active use of muzzleloading
> shotguns some were ignited by .22 rimfire with powder but, of course,
> no lead. However, mz shotguns operate at about 8 Ksi opposed to rifle
> that may go as high as 25 Ksi with 18 Ksi being more normal. .22
> rimfire are at about 11 Ksi.
>
> Most of the guys I know are using CCI Magnum #11 caps and getting good
> ignition.

I have a #11 nipple for this one too, but the CCI #11 Magnum hasn't the
fire to do anything but a noticeable hangfire at best.  I tried it twice,
the first time there was a 3/4 second hangfire, the 2nd I wound up
unscrewing the breech and putting about 10Gr of 777 in, and rather forcibly
screwing the breech back in.  That fired nicely, and while it was a bit of
a PIMA to load the 777 first, then the BH209, the resultant accuracy was
much improved.  Pacing the barrel heating, I fired nearly a full card of
bullets, winding up with a 10 shot group of just over 2" at 50 yards that
day.  BH209 being a smokeless but with added smoke, seems to heat the
barrel faster than the other black subs, so 6 shots were enough to warm it
nicely, potentially damaging the sabot by melting.

> A couple of years ago I did a golf ball mortar using plain old
> fashioned fuse; was good for about 150 yards. :-)

That's better than my drives 98% of the time. :) I have been out on the
coarse a few dozen times, but can't say as I can 'play' the game.

> 'Nuf rambling for this time of the night.
>
> Dave

Cheers, Gene
ignorance, n.:
        When you don't know anything, and someone else finds out.