John Kasunich wrote:

> I guess I must have missed something.  I never saw him say he was using
> drives with step/dir inputs.
Gecko G320
>   If that is the case, then he probably
> isn't
> using PID loops at all - the drives are closing the position loop and
> LinuxCNC is treating them like steppers.

But, he is.  This is using my Universal Stepper Controller with the
Gecko Interface
so it sees the encoder both places (drives and USC).  So, it is truly a
servo, although
a messy one.  The G320 has its own loop, and then LinuxCNC has another loop.
You can turn down the Gecko gain and then do most of the positioning loop in
LinuxCNC, and let the Gecko drive handle most of the velocity control.
In some
setups, especially with low DC voltage and high armature resistance, the
G320
doesn't have anywhere enough P gain, so the LinuxCNC PID can help
considerably to reduce following error.

But, still, if the encoder fails, there are many cases where LinuxCNC
will not
see a following error and not know there is a problem.

Jon