On 5/23/2012 10:45 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
> Kent A. Reed wrote:
>> Of course all roads lead to LinuxCNC, but is there some reason one
>> couldn't/wouldn't start with one of the many microcontroller chips or
>> even ARM-based SoCs  and build a separate watchdog for the purpose of
>> detecting and stopping servo runaway in its tracks? It would seem to me
>> almost any has more than enough capability to do so.
>>
> Measuring the output of the drive seems like an important measurement.
> It might be
> hard to get this from a G320 drive, or a number of others as the
> voltages are
> high and the average reading would be much better than seeing all the PWM
> pulses.  I think a very simple circuit, largely analog plus some one
> shots and
> a logic gate could do it.  Probably 3 chips per axis.  Some RC feeding an
> opto-coupler, a 74HC123 and a gate package.  If the output to the motor
> exceeds some value (maybe 5 V) for some short time, and there are no
> pulses on BOTH encoder signals, that is a fault, and it trips the E-stop.
> Parts cost should be about $3 per axis, in single quantities.
>
> Jon
>
> -

Well, shoot, can't we make it more complicated? This sounds like a Don
Lancaster solution straight out of the pages of Popular Electronics :-)
In the good old days I could think this way but 40 years of digital
electronics have fried my brain.

All kidding aside---thanks for an elegant solution, Jon.

Regards,
Kent