On Wed, 23 May 2012, Jon Elson wrote:

> Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 21:31:26 -0500
> From: Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Encoder Redundancy?
>
> Peter C. Wallace wrote:
>> Which is a good illustration of the limitations of step/dir servos since
>> LinuxCNC can't "see" whats happening in the drive, which rules out a lot of
>> hardware fault mitigation strategies.
>>
> Well, really, detecting all possible cases of a failed encoder is not
> that easy.
> In this case, using my Gecko Interface board, LinuxCNC CAN see the encoder,
> and would have E-stopped the system, IF it had seen uncommanded movement.
> But, with the encoder not powered or otherwise not working, it gets no
> indication of the runaway.
>
> Jon

That was my point: step/dir servos do not provide a easy way to detect a
runaway. If LinuxCNC is running the loop, a saturated PID output is an easy
way for systems with "normal" servos to detect runaway. This works fine with
unpowered or open wire encoder situations.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)