John Thornton wrote:
> Ok, what I had been running was 4x60uf caps between 1 and 3 and 1x60uf
> cap between 2 and 3 (generated leg on 3 then) and that seemed to work
> the best.

You may just need to up these capacitors.
> at the phase converter
> to ground 1 = 120v, 2 = 120v, 3 = 226v
> phase to phase 1 + 2 = 244v, 2 + 3 = 248v, 1 + 3 = 262v

Ugh, 226 is WAY high.  With 120 on each half of the 240, you should have
approximately 208 V to the generated phase.  if you have an equilateral
triangle
with the bas 240 units wide, the height should be 207.8 units.  (sin 60
degrees
* 240 = 207.8).  Or, measuring between all 3 lines should give equal
voltages.
Yours is not equal, again.  Your 1 - 3 voltage is quite a bit too high.

Either increasing  the cap values or adjusting them to get better
balance ought
to help.

Jon