On Friday, May 25, 2012 10:19:59 PM Jon Elson did opine:

> gene heskett wrote:
> > However, if the problem is related to the spikes on the line caused by
> > slow recovery characteristics of the diodes in this kits high voltage
> > DC supply, those spikes will be attenuated by the poor high frequency
> > response of the transformers.  They won't look as if they are big
> > enough to be a problem so most would ignore them.
>
> Well, this is possible.  the generated phase has a much higher impedance
> than the supplied
> single-phase mains.  If this IS the problem, a few big caps of the phase
> correction sort
> across all the L-L terminals might absorb enough of this to keep the
> protection circuits
> from tripping.  But, of course, the presumably modest Diesel generator
> would also have
> a somewhat higher impedance, and the drive ran fine on that.

Something I neglected to consider when I wrote the above story.

> So, I'm
> still thinking this
> is more likely to be a simple phase imbalance problem than a spike
> problem.  But,
> without knowing what sort of input protection gear this system has, it
> is impossible
> to know.  On the other hand, if the input module uses SCR phase-angle
> regulation,
> then phase imbalances would cause a HUGE problem as they screw up the
> commutation angles of the SCRs, and could easily overvolt the DC bus.

I think that is the more likely situation, although that would seem to
require some sort of interphase linkage, possibly timer related to throw it
that far off.  I didn't dl the link to the manual, figuring if there was
proprietary stuff in the thing, it probably would have the piece we would
like to study inside a blank box on the schematic.  I have had to deal with
that on many occasions, even going so far as to carve the epoxy or baked on
tar away to see what was in a couple of those 'bricks', only to find the
part numbers had been carved off before it was encapsulated.  Not exactly
helpful when the thing is 6 years old & they crawled under a rock 3 years
back.

But as the one who has to fix the stuff, makers who do their stuff like
that usually get added to my "we won't buy any more of that makers
products" list.  Often, we found that with diligent searching now that we
have the internet, we can buy that feature in a device with a whole grocery
list of stuff that turns out to be quite useful in the battle for eyeballs,
in one case with a better warranty and support system than the big boys
were bragging about, and for 30% of the Big Boys price.  And I think they
are still around.  They _gave_ us the software tools that allowed us to be
creative with their product, something that Grass Valley wanted a 5 figure
price per seat at the table for their stuff.  You can guess who gets the
first phone call when we need something else they might make.

> Jon

Cheers, Gene
If a train station is a place where a train stops, what's a workstation?