On Friday, May 25, 2012 01:02:05 PM Jon Elson did opine:

> gene heskett wrote:
> > For this it gets sticky, because you have 2 choices of how to attach
> > the scope probes, BOTH of which leave the case of the scope lethally
> > hot, so at the very least it has to be running on an isolation
> > transformer, and sitting on an insulated table, no way around that.
> > You'll obviously need to be standing on an insulated surface, and
> > following the one hand in the pocket rule.
>
> The right way to do this is to get two identical 240 v to (something)
> transformers.
> 240 - 12 V would be fine.  Then, the scope can be safe to touch.  You
> hook the
> 240 V primary wires to the circuit to be measured, the scope can be
> connected
> to the secondary terminals.  You don't even need a scope probe, you can
> wire directly
> to the input BNC.
>
> Jon

I thought of that too, Jon.  But I tried that once, many years ago, and
found that the transformers blocked the higher frequency stuff I was
interested in.  For this however I'd think it would be adequate as I don't
think we are looking for megahertz plus response.  But with my history, its
certainly something I would be looking for in the scope traces however they
are obtained.

However, if the problem is related to the spikes on the line caused by slow
recovery characteristics of the diodes in this kits high voltage DC supply,
those spikes will be attenuated by the poor high frequency response of the
transformers.  They won't look as if they are big enough to be a problem so
most would ignore them.

At KXNE-TV, where I was the transmitter super for several years, we were
plagued by 6 lines that rolled through the picture since the powerline rate
was 60 hz, but the NTSC vertical sync was 59.94, we did try some large
capacitors across the line, but they had no effect.  They were caused by
the full wave 3 phase bridge rectifiers for the 20 kilovolt beam supply,
good for about 12 amperes if both klystrons were fresh and running at full
song.  The nominally 12 microsecond recovery time of a few thousand $ worth
of common DO-5 rectifiers was causing the phases to be shorted together as
one phase was rising above the diodes conduction point, and the phase that
had been supplying the power was falling, so at every crossover point, the
slow recovery of the bridge leg going off effectively shorted the phases
together, and created a spike of ringing when they finally did turn off
that was still 2 to 3 kilovolts by the time it got back through the trio of
75kw rated substation transformers that were hooked up backwards to make
the 15 kilovolt rms that fed the bridge.  Superimposed on the rest of the
buildings 127 volt utility wiring, it raised hell with small equipment
fuses, light bulbs, florescent ballasts etc.

Because TPTB thought the transmitter would be better protected if it had a
regulated AC supply when the place was originally built, there was a 225kva
rated ferro-resonant 3 phase transformer on a pad outside the building that
Wayne Co. Public Powers substation 3 feet away fed.  That thing was a huge
choke, trapping all that from getting back to the powerline where sheer
miles of wire would have absorbed it.

I tried to justify replacing every diode in that bridge with faster
recovery devices, but this was the early 70's and 1 microsecond devices
were then about $40 a copy, I'd need more than a hundred of them, so that
got turned down.

Finally, a lightning strike blew that overgrown Sola transformer all to
hell with the resultant fire warping the enclosures steel roof.  And of
course we were off the air.  Sola wanted about $120k for another core and
around 90 days to deliver, not a stock item.

So we bent the 4 pieces of 750mcm a phase around that puppy just to get
back on the air.  All in huge kearney bolts right there in the enclosure.
With the substation off-line, and my boss Larry from the head shed in
Lincoln, we used a 3/4" conduit hickey to get 2 of each phase in and out
into the biggest Kearney Bolts they could find in NE, with Larry and I on
the pipe cheaters of a pair of 48" mag pipe wrenches to pull them up tight,
we had 6 of then installed in about 5 hours, then covered with cambric tape
and a couple rolls of scotch 88 per bolt to keep the weather out.  Called
Ron at WCPP to come and make up the fuses to the substation again.

Problem 99% solved, now that surge had someplace to go.  Lines in pix
almost subliminal, light bulbs lasted 3 times longer.  Obviously we never
did order a new core for the regulator. ;)

The reason I relate this story is that there may be some similarities as to
the tripouts John is seeing.  Depends on how sensitive to these diode
recovery spikes his Seimans kit might be.  If that is the case, then he has
an easy fix because he won't have to buy 100+ of a diode that is now 10% of
the cost fast diodes were back then, and likely even faster.

Cheers, Gene
Buck-passing usually turns out to be a boomerang.