When we ran the generator we connected the 3 hots as usual and I don't
recall if we grounded it or not. I only had 3 connectors large enough
for the leads coming out of the generator so I'm sure we didn't connect
the ground to the neutral of the generator.

http://cache.automation.siemens.com/dnl_iis/DA/DA0NDQzAAAA_59401543_HB/PJU_0212_en.pdf

In that manual after a fault I have 4 status LED's lit up. On page 6-143
the bottom 4 LED's are lit. Which one caused the fault I can't tell.

The machine schematic does not show a neutral connected at the stepup
transformer and the infeed unit doesn't even have a neutral connection
and neither does the machine.

 From the tone of the tech's voice he hears this problem a lot with 611
drive and rotary phase converters.

John