On 5/31/2012 1:33 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
> John Thornton wrote:
>
>> $64 question will the isolation transformer do the same thing the 7.5hp
>> spindle motor is doing on the Samson?
>>

> No, I do not think so.  You may be able to tune this better with caps so
> the generated leg
> runs a bit high at no load, and sags less at high load, and that may
> keep the control
> happy.  Or, you may need to add another idler motor to the system.
>
> Re. my comment about the filter caps.  Has this problem slowly been getting
> worse over time - like a few years?  If so, then it strongly suggests
> that the
> filter caps are going out, slowly.  How old is this machine?
>
> Jon

I think that John swapped out the caps in this power supply when he
first got this machine and starting having problems.

With all of the hybrid cars running around these days, I wonder if it
wouldn't be possible to tap into the car's DC bus, attach an inverter
and come up with an handy 25 KW or so 3 phase power supply.

That might convince me that a hybrid vehicle could actually be useful.

I think that some of these hybrids are running on 300+ volt DC bus systems.

For now a diesel generator might be cheaper,  but sooner or later these
hybrids are going to be coming down in price as the gloss wears off and
the vehicles age.

Dave