On Monday, June 04, 2012 08:01:51 AM andy pugh did opine:

> On 4 June 2012 07:26, gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > It is extremely sensitive to this bit of timing variation caused
> > by a nominally 5 thou non concentricity in the way it is mounted (I
> > believe because the center hole in the disk is slightly undersized,
> > forcing one side of the hole to be pulled into the threads valley)
> > both in duty cycle AND quadrature accuracy else the
> > encoder.N.velocity output contains noise that at best is +- 50% of
> > its average value despite the fact that even in the degraded state,
> > it can still follow the spindle at 50 RPS!
>
> Feed-per-rev mode uses the velocity output, but threading only uses
> the position output, so shouldn't really care about noise on the
> velocity pin.
>
> I can't help feeling that a low-pass might help.

I had one in there for a while, wasn't much help & did seem to give a
feedback pole that boosted any oscillation tendencies.  I tried multipliers
from .25 all they way out to .01, but according to halscope, the output
slew rate nor the noise was being filtered in the manner I was looking for.

> However, I also have noticed how noisy that velocity pin is. Perhaps
> it is worth having a look at that anti-quatisation code to see if it
> works properly.

That would be much appreciated Andy, thanks.

Cheers, Gene
"I once witnessed a long-winded, month-long flamewar over the use of
mice vs. trackballs...It was very silly."
(By Matt Welsh)