On Mon, 4 Jun 2012 06:39:50 -0400
gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:

> On Monday, June 04, 2012 06:31:34 AM Mark Wendt did opine:
>
> > On 06/03/2012 11:39 AM, gene heskett wrote:
> >
> > <snippage>
> >
> > > As for the various methods of blackening brass, discussed here
> > > previously, most were butt ugly, giving all the colors of a good
> > > skin bruise rather than a nice flat black.  I believe that was
> > > because of my inability to get all the cutting oil washed back
> > > out of the brass with clean acetone or boiling in dish soap.  I
> > > can't go enough narrower to fix it with a 1/32" mill as I can't
> > > trim the slot width more than another thou, so today I will try
> > > dimming the leds.  There has to be a fix someplace, I just have
> > > to find it...
> > >

> > > Cheers, Gene
> >
> > Gene,
> >
> > Acetone is a lousy degreaser.
>
> I didn't know that.
>
> It cuts most anything else, so I figured it was good for oils too.
>
> > Scrub with Dawn dish detergent and hot
> > water, the follow that with a rubdown of denatured alcohol and a
> > clean, oil free rag.  Coffee filters or paper towels work good for
> > that.
Indeed, Dawn works well; so does TSP ( tri-sodium phosphate ) often a
component in dishwasher soaps. Rinse well with water, distilled if you
are picky. Dry in oven. Or use alcohol, methanol or denatured ethanol.
Everclear is way too expensive to use that way ( I'm tight ).

Surprisingly enough the nuclear people use acetone and then compressed
air to prep threaded holes for locktite.

HTH
Dave