On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 12:18:47 -0400
Mark Wendt <mark.we...@nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

> On 06/04/2012 11:40 AM, dave wrote:
> >> Nope, the label on this one sez "Ethyl Alcohol, U.S.P"
> >> 200 proof
> >> Anhydrous
> >> For industrial use only
> >> Bottled by The Warner-Graham Company in Cockeysville, MD, just down
> >> the road a bit from me here at work.
> >>
> > 200 proof is anhydrous only until you open the bottle especially in
> > high humidity areas. No way to win that one it is just too
> > hydroscopic. There are a couple of way to make anhydrous alcohol,
> > the industrial way by azeotropic distillation with benzene which
> > will leave traces of benzene; very hard on the liver and
> > distillation over sodium. Naturally, all of us keep a still with
> > ground glass joints and a pound of sodium around just so we can
> > make 200 proof. ;-)
> >
> > Dave
> >
> Not that I'd know anything about stills and such...  ;-)

P Chem should have taken care of that.

I had a friend that needed to distill some wine ---> brandy.
He said he had a friend that had a friend that knew a friend with a
still. ;-)

Dave

Still (npi) crude stills are easy ... we needed to clean up gals of
toluene used for extracting hops for brewing value and also for doing
the distillation moisture.
Three 8 x 16 concrete blocks, one 55 gal drum, 3 feet of pipe to screw
into the bung loosely packed with SS wool feeding  Cu  pipe 2"  outside
with 3/4" inside with appropriate fittings. Garden hose to low end of
condenser and short hose at top to waste. Propane burner underneath.
All of this in a gravel parking lot 100' from the lab. It scared the
hell out of some people but it worked and we recovered and reused drums
of toluene that way. It was only good for the moistures at that point
but it sure beat using analytical grade toluene.

Dave