Viesturs,
don't confuse US and British units although they are both called
imperial units (since when do Americans care about emperors?) - they are
not necessarily the same as you come to details. Screws can be a lot
different, for example. I have an old English combined circular wood saw
and table router with thread holes in the table where US screws don't
fit. British imperial gallons are different from US gallons.
Furthermore, there are American metric screws that won't fit into
European nuts of the same specifications because the radii of the
thread's edges are different - it's all a whole mess as long as there
are no efforts of unification. In this respect, we are living in an era
not much different from the middle ages because every country wants to
protect their products from other manufacturers instead of making joint
efforts to compete only in quality and price of the optimal products.

British pipe threads are based on inch standard and compatible with all
other countries' pipes and fittings, imperial or not.

Peter