On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 23:03:44 +0300, you wrote:

>2012/6/16 andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com>:
>>
>> You are quite right, I don't know how I got that wrong.
>> Except that hecto and centi are _not_ prefixes in the SI system.
>>

>Could be, I do not know for sure...
>
>BTW the metric vs imperial systems and UK being somewhere inbetween
>(litres from metric system and miles from imperial), I just remembered
>one interesting moment from a metrology class:
>In whole mainland Europe screw threads are metric, pipe threads are in
>imperial units. Which does not make much of a sense to me, why would
>they be separated, but then professor mentioned that pipe threads in
>UK are not imperial (I _think_ that screw threads are imperial in
>UK)...
>So I think that pipe thread in UK has to be metric, which makes me
>think that English people are doing this on purpose :))

Pipe threads are Imperial Units - BSP (British Standard Pipe) and have a
Whitworth thread form.

Have a read up on Joseph Whitworth  - He displayed a machine in 1855
that could measure to an accuracy of one millionth of an inch. He was
also the guy who defined a standard thread 1841 to aid the speed of
manufacture.

Steve Blackmore