On Sunday 15 July 2012 17:01:22 Jon Elson did opine:

> andy pugh wrote:
> > On 15 July 2012 14:45, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> >> But the internal calculations for velocity etc are done at the servo
> >> threads granularity of nominally 1 millisecond.  So there is no
> >> chance of the figures being accurate when the count may be up to a
> >> millisecond old.
> >
> > The counts shouldn't be more than a thread-dither old (10uS or so).
> > The calculation function reads the latest count from the base thread
> > functions (possibly a base-thread old).
> >
> > The FPGA in the Pico card being discussed here ought to make an even
> > better job at being up-to-date.
>
> The Pico Systems USC does not have this feature (timestamping of encoder
> count arrival).  The UPC does.  The position CAN be thought of as
> "stale" as the encoder gives no info between counts.  So, if it crossed
> the boundary to a new position a while ago, you have no way to know how
> close it is to crossing the next boundary.
>
> Jon

Sure there is Jon.  Timestamp the last 4 edges so you can develop an
average speed over the total time period of those 4 stamps. Then add the
last few digits for the position it is expected to be at the servo threads
time.  The only thing to complicate that would be a motion reversal within
that 4 sample period.

Or maybe I don't fully appreciate the problem.  No explanation offered so
far seems to explain why the encoders rps output, at a mechanical speed of
20 rps, has +- 3.xxx or more from the 20 its actually doing, flickering in
the halmeter output.  And this 'noise' does not seem to be all that much
effected by the actual speed regardless of the speed as long as its over
about 1 rps.

Cheers, Gene
A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first
thought of.
                -- Burt Bacharach