2012/7/21 Erik Christiansen <dva...@internode.on.net>:

> In any event, I'd fix a long slender ballscrew, to avoid whipping, and
> rotate the nut.

I did this on the last machine I built with this exact intention in my mind.
The overall result - failure. I seriously doubt I will ever do that again.
Longest screw was 2800 mm long (other 2 were 1800 mm long), all of
them - 16 mm diameter, 10 mm pitch.

My main conclusion - the nut housing requires pretty precise machining
to match the central axis of the nut itself with the axis around which
that nut rotates in bearings.
I had some deviations there, so the rotation of the nut caused the
screw to vibrate, so the max speed ended up to be 5x smaller than
initially planned just to avoid excessive vibrations.

--
Viesturs

If you can't fix it, you don't own it.
http://www.ifixit.com/Manifesto