On Saturday 21 July 2012 11:53:33 Kent A. Reed did opine:

> Gene:
>
> I'm not going to comment your recent emails because 1) I don't want to
> take the time to understand the information scattered through them and
> 2) the result would be unreadable:-)
>
> Assuming all hosts have the appropriate packages installed, some
> thoughts are:
>
> 1) maybe this is all working anyhow. Do you understand the autofs "way"
> is not actually to mount a remote directory until such time as a user
> tries to use it and that remote directories are unmounted after a period
> of unuse? Simply ls'ing the mount point isn't sufficient. It would show
> nil just as you report.

I am aware of that.  Now here it gets odd.  I can cd to /net/lathe, or
/net/shop (I should change its name to mill, but it was first)
and then see the home dir exported.  And I haven't changed anything since
the last time mc would not do the cd.  And just now, mc can cd to
/net/shop/home or /net/lathe/home, but is getting no perms errors from any
attempt to cd into the home/gene tree.  Humm, a what the F moment, it says
here that root:root owns /net/lathe/home/gene!  But if I ssh -Y into lathe,
an ls -l says /home/gene is indeed owned by gene:gene.

Do I have an export rule boogered?

> 2) don't go any farther until you can reliably ssh between any two hosts
> on your network using their symbolic host names. If there are three
> hosts, you have 6 tests (ssh from a to b and c, from b to c and a, and
> from c to a). If ssh doesn't succeed, neither will the nfs executables.

ssh -Y logins will let me use vim, and I can run linuxcnc over the link,
but gedit 'can't open display'.  As I'm using the neauvou display driver
here, I think that could be related, the last time I was running the nvidia
drivers it worked.

> 3) start simple and add complexity. Forget about autofs for a moment. On
> each host, you should be able to start an nfs server exporting a single
> directory and then mount that directory manually on each client of that
> server. It took me just a few minutes to get this far with three new
> virtual Ubuntu hosts---one installed from the LinuxCNC LiveCD---running
> on my main machine. Again, there would be 6 tests if you want to be
> exhaustive about it. By the way, assuming your exports file permits it,
> you can mount on a particular host a directory exported by that same
> host. This enables doing some elementary tests without running from
> console to console.
>
> 4) now introduce autofs, one host at a time, and test that you can
> access directories exported from elsewhere, keeping 1) in mind. I have
> other things to do, but I'll try to get to this tonight with my virtual
> testbed.
>
> 5) the /var/log directory is loaded with log files. In addition to
> the/var/log/kern.log file already mentioned, you can look at
> /var/log/syslog.
>
> 6) nfs is a heterogeneous constellation of executables and configuration
> files which grew like kudzu over the years as different vendors got on
> the Sun Microsystems bandwagon. The Linux versions of these came from
> various sources as well. Most of the executables allow a debug option
> (-d) of some sort, but you have to be creative to figure out how to
> invoke it since some of the executables run as daemons. Remember that
> any executable intended to be a daemon can be run stand-alone for
> testing purposes.
>
> I do not claim to be an nfs guru. Indeed, I'm not even a big fan of nfs.
> Despite its irritations, however, it can serve (pun intended) us well.
> I've been gone for a while but I assume NIST still has a patchwork quilt
> of hundreds of hosts from many vendors running as clients and servers
> across the 600-acre Gaithersburg campus and between Gaithersburg MD and
> Boulder Colorado. Some folks ran tightly coupled to it, max'ing their
> use of its capabilities to manage every aspect including the boot
> process, the hosts and passwd files, yada yada yada; some, like me, used
> it only to access shared application programs and their license-key
> pools. Of course we had a number of NFS administrators who had to be put
> in their place from time to time when they started thinking they talked
> directly to God.

Chuckle, I've dealt with the type.  Peter Principle at work. :)

> Just my 2 cents worth.

Potentially worth more, thanks Kent.

> Regards,
> Kent