On Thu, 2012-08-23 at 19:34 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 23 August 2012 19:23:17 Kent A. Reed did opine:
>
> > On 8/23/2012 12:02 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > On Thursday 23 August 2012 11:59:35 Mark Wendt did opine:

> > > I saw those in one of my google searches Mark, neat, but that isn't
> > > the gib in hand, this one is under the cross feed slider, on its
> > > right side.  Rides the dovetail on top of the carriage IOW.
> > >
> > > Cheers, Gene
> >
> > The hands-down favorite resource in Internet discussions seems to be the
> > 1955 book "Machine Tool Reconditioning and Applications of Hand
> > Scraping" by Edward Connelly. I see it's offered, presumably as a
> > reprint, by http://www.machinetoolpublications.com/ (see the table
> > contents at http://www.machinetoolpublications.com/about.cfm) for
> > USD92.95 which is about 20 cents a page. Prices on abebooks and amazon
> > are similarly high. Pity.
>
> Yikes!  I'll watch you tube then.
>
> > Good luck. I have a mini-lathe too, warts and all, but I have nowhere
> > near the ambition you have:-)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Kent
>
> TBT Kent, mine got up and left without me 4 or 5 days back.  Not sick that
> I know of, but the giddyup of old seems to be missing lately.  Not helped
> much by a permanent backache I've had for about 50 years & which seems to
> be getting slowly worse.  In addition to the baby aspirin a day, the pill-
> tainers have 2 naproxin sodiums in the morning kit and 2 in the night kit,
> and I'm thinking of raising both to 3.  So far its the only NSAID that
> doesn't seem to bother my  tummy.
>
> And of course right now my nose looks like I lost a brawl last night, all
> scabbed over but that should heal.  We're burning off squamus cell skin
> cancers.
>
> Cheers, Gene
Getting old definitely isn't for wimps or as one person said,
"everything that works .... hurts".
I have a prescription for 375 mg naproxon ... slow release. I take one
at about 2100 with a slice of toast and some water and it seems to tamp
down the inflammation so I don't need one during the day.

I recently had a problem where I was attempting to fit two pieces around
some fixed stuff. In hindsight I should have made a solid model of the
fixed piece and then subtracted it from a solid and split the solid.
In like manner it might be easier to cast a model of the gib then
extract it from the lathe and figure out how to machine a matching one.
YMMV.

On the subject of sliding parts I've seen designs where one side is
surface ground O6 and the other is bronze which is surface ground but
also slotted cross-wise to hold lube and also reduce the contact area
and the friction. Loading on ways is said to be about 250 psi which is
why the thin modified delrin works so well.

Glad you got your slide to work. I tend to be too impatient. ;-(

Dave