On Thursday 23 August 2012 20:07:17 dave did opine:

> On Thu, 2012-08-23 at 19:34 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > The hands-down favorite resource in Internet discussions seems to be
> > > the 1955 book "Machine Tool Reconditioning and Applications of Hand
> > > Scraping" by Edward Connelly. I see it's offered, presumably as a
> > > reprint, by http://www.machinetoolpublications.com/ (see the table
> > > contents at http://www.machinetoolpublications.com/about.cfm) for
> > > USD92.95 which is about 20 cents a page. Prices on abebooks and
> > > amazon are similarly high. Pity.
> >
> > Yikes!  I'll watch you tube then.
> >
> > > Good luck. I have a mini-lathe too, warts and all, but I have
> > > nowhere near the ambition you have:-)
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Kent
> >
> > TBT Kent, mine got up and left without me 4 or 5 days back.  Not sick
> > that I know of, but the giddyup of old seems to be missing lately.
> > Not helped much by a permanent backache I've had for about 50 years &
> > which seems to be getting slowly worse.  In addition to the baby
> > aspirin a day, the pill- tainers have 2 naproxin sodiums in the
> > morning kit and 2 in the night kit, and I'm thinking of raising both
> > to 3.  So far its the only NSAID that doesn't seem to bother my
> > tummy.
> >
> > And of course right now my nose looks like I lost a brawl last night,
> > all scabbed over but that should heal.  We're burning off squamus
> > cell skin cancers.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> Getting old definitely isn't for wimps or as one person said,
> "everything that works .... hurts".
> I have a prescription for 375 mg naproxon ... slow release. I take one
> at about 2100 with a slice of toast and some water and it seems to tamp
> down the inflammation so I don't need one during the day.
>
> I recently had a problem where I was attempting to fit two pieces around
> some fixed stuff. In hindsight I should have made a solid model of the
> fixed piece and then subtracted it from a solid and split the solid.
> In like manner it might be easier to cast a model of the gib then
> extract it from the lathe and figure out how to machine a matching one.
> YMMV.
>
> On the subject of sliding parts I've seen designs where one side is
> surface ground O6 and the other is bronze which is surface ground but
> also slotted cross-wise to hold lube and also reduce the contact area
> and the friction. Loading on ways is said to be about 250 psi which is
> why the thin modified delrin works so well.
>
> Glad you got your slide to work. I tend to be too impatient. ;-(
>
> Dave

I haven't had a good supply of patience in a long time.  Folks at the tv
station eventually got it figured out that when I was deep in a problem, it
was best not to bother me since the teeth marks are so slow to heal.  But
each new hire had to learn that by hisself because when I am in
troubleshooting mode, the train of thought from clue to clue to what part
chipped a tooth is so easily disturbed.  I have literally, with schematic
in hand, had to start from scratch, reverifying the readings and waveforms
for an hour before I got to the pin with the blown gate in a chip.

I don't repeat that willingly without getting testy.  My first GM, the
fellow that hired me, thought his opinion was gawd almighty & why didn't I
have it fixed already.  I was fighting with a 4 bit wide shift register
that didn't always shift in the production video switcher, a GVG custom
chip, and was trying to catch it red handed.  He was back bugging me about
it about every 10 minutes.  About the 5th time I blew up, told him to go
screw a rolling donut, the news COULD be done on a 2 channel switcher and
that I was going home for the day.  And did.  He called me at home & I hung
up.

When I went in the next morning I went straight to his office and closed
the door behind me, and laid it on the bottom line, which was if he thought
he could do any better write me my last check.  Otherwise he could get out
of my hair, and stay out of my hair. I understood what my job was and I was
doing it the best way I knew how, pointing out that when I walked in the
door, I had replaced 5 other "engineers" who combined stood around open
mouthed while watching me fix stuff they had been boxing up and sending it
to the factory shop to get fixed.  Effectively they were shipping clerks.

Since there wasn't anything left for them to do, 3 of them resigned the
first week, the old Chief stayed around for 2 at my request just to make
sure I knew where all the light switches were & the last one was about a
month leaving. I ran that tv station for the next 10 years alone but asking
for muscle when I needed some.  Because the transmitter wasn't remote
controlled, I had 4 'operators' at not much more than minimum wage.  That
was my 'engineering' dept.

But that sort of pressure, largely self-inflicted as I wasn't home for
dinner till after 8 way too many nights, was the main reason I didn't stick
it out till I was 68 & change to get the bigger SS check.  I don't think I
would have made it. :(

I had a few things I wanted to do, and linuxcnc is one of them, hopefully
getting some of them done before I fall over.  Fishing is another, but
thats a waste in WV, no Trout & even Walleye's are very hard to come by in
these here warmer water parts.  But he doesn't charge you for the time you
spend fishing, so I ought to have 5 years credit just for that. :)

Part of the secret is always having something to do with my hands and
brain.  :)

The rest of the secret of course is:

Faster horses,
Younger women,
Older whiskey,
and more money. :)

Cheers, Gene
Perhaps no person can be a poet, or even enjoy poetry without a certain
unsoundness of mind.
                -- Thomas Macaulay