On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Stephen Dubovsky <smdubov...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering...(can you smell the smoke?)
>
> On manual knee mills there are often ways to combine the knee and
> quill scales in the DRO to directly add/subtract from one another,
> giving only one combined Z reading.  This part would be easy enough to
> do in HAL on a CNC.  Add/subtract the quill encoder to the knee's
> linear encoder(scale).  If the drives were enabled (but not
> necessarily cutting), the quill would even 'chase' the knees position
> trying to hold a commanded Z.  But how would you change the soft
> limits?  You basically need to be able to add the knee's position
> delta to each the Z+ and Z- limits.  Are those accessible in HAL?  On
> a manual bridgeport moving the knee up and down for different tools w/
> greatly varying lengths (endmill vs tapping head) is de rigeur.  Just
> wondering if the same can be accomplished on a CNC during tool changes
> to stay within the quills range of travel and preventing re-touching
> off each time.

Perhaps one just moves a percentage of all Z moves eg+75% to one and
-25% to the other (ratio depends on maximum travels of the machine) to
both knee and quill at the same time to get maximum travel.
I realise that does not optimise the speed of the quill when tapping
but may be an easy hal fiddle

Dave Caroline