On 09/14/2012 12:47 PM, Stephen Dubovsky wrote:
> This all comes from thinking about manual machines w/ DROs.  There are
> combiner boxes avail that take a scale on both the quill and knee and
> add/subtract them to feed into the DRO display.  Some newer ones can
> do it internally I think.  So it doesn't matter which you move, the Z
> axis display on the DRO reads the total.  Move the quill up 2" and the
> knee up 2" and the Z display stays the same.  You don't need to
> touch-off again, and again, and again, ...

Stephen,

I'm interested in what you come up with. The mill I work on has a knee
with a ballscrew, connected to a crank and a motor drive, so I think an
encoder on the screw would do nicely.

As it is I sometimes put pauses in the Gcode with a message to the
operator to move the knee up or down by a certain amount. After the
pause it does the tool change, followed by a change to a different
coordinate system to handle the new knee position. It's a bit crude but
works.

Karl