2012/9/16 andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com>:
> On 16 September 2012 05:07, John Stewart <alex.stew...@crc.ca> wrote:
>
>> Disagree. Have an Android app. that displays VRML/X3D and STL files.
>
> CAD on a 4" touchscreen doesn't sound like much fun to me, though.
> But then I guess we got used to mice, and I rather suspect that tables
> worked better.

Little OT of introduction...
My current machine build has 1495 parts in CAD model. This number does
not include bolts, washers, nuts. Fortunately I was assembling the
machine myself, so I knew where goes each part and I could explain
that to my first employee, but I also started thinking of best ways,
how somebody else could easily assemble a machine designed by me or
any other person.
That is why there are assembly drawings, but they are so
time-consuming to prepare, so I was thinking, how to make this whole
process more efficient.
My idea was to use a tablet with some viewer software to display
assembly model. The person, who is putting the machine together would
be able to view the model and assemble everything together. I have yet
to figure out, how to specify some critical assembly dimensions right
in the assembly model.
I use SolidEdge for my 3D modeling and I did little search to find, if
there are some solutions to view its models in Android and/or ipad.
There actually are some... There is just one problem - cost. SolidEdge
plugin costs somewhere close to 1K $, so I dropped that idea. Plugin
for SolidWorks was 3x cheaper, but I do not like that app, because it
is missing some very basic features, like putting external thread on a
cylindrical surface. It offers to put "cosmetic thread" so that the
part looks as if there was a thread, but it is not really recognized
that way, when creating a drawing for the part.

In brief what I wanted to say is that tablets do have a good potential
in my eyes also in machine tool field. 4" screen might not be the most
convenient way to view some parts, but 10" screen would be just great.

--
Viesturs

If you can't fix it, you don't own it.
http://www.ifixit.com/Manifesto