On 11/5/2012 11:43 AM, Eric Keller wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Sven Wesley <svenne.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Seems I've found a good reason to actually have a Raspberry Pi inside the
>> cabinet, a perfect X host to unload the controller.
>>
> I would really like to know if this works
> Eric

It's easy in principle, Eric. Anything that can run an Xserver can be
the user terminal. I've done it a number of times with computers ranging
from simple evaluation boards like the RPi to full-up engineering
workstations. The beautry of X is that an Xserver is an Xserver is
an.... (Don't ask me about the warts on X:-))

In practice, there's a lot of niggly details that have to be attended to
if it is to be bullet-proof and be seen as the user interface to a
machine tool and not as a computer.

1) the RPi should be able to boot up without manual intervention into a
"kiosk" mode with, say, just an Xwindow open and ready for business. A
very stripped-down Linux will do.
2) it should be able to establish communication automagically to the
machine controller. In my case, I'd put a cheap ethernet switch in the
cabinet so the RPi and the controller can talk to each other and to
other parts of my network. There are other ways to establish the
intercommunication but this is easiest for me.
3) both the RPi and the controller should be able to boot into a
functional state, each without depending on the other
4) the RPi "terminal" should allow some sort of debug mode for those
days when nothing is going well.

Regards,
Kent