I have a rather interesting datasheet from Allegro. They have a sensor
that detects either a magneic codewheel, or a gear tooth (with a
biasing magnet behind the sensor).
The neat part is that the pulse width is 45uS in one direction, and
90uS in the other.
It is intended for crankshaft sensing, where index is done by a missing tooth.

The typical code-wheel is a pressed steel part 100m diameter with a
70mm bore. This is pressed on to a hub with a 30mm bore in the case of
the one I have on my desk at the moment.

The encoding scheme seems compatible with software/parport sensing,
and the form-factor seems ideal for a lathe spindle encoder.

I wonder if it is worth adding support to the encoder driver?

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.