On Wednesday 21 November 2012 18:41:41 andy pugh did opine:

> On 21 November 2012 22:57, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Ahh, so.  Do you have a link so we are on the same page with our
> > thinking?
>
> http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Products/Magnetic-Speed-Sensor-ICs/Transm
> ission-Sensor-ICs/ATS692.aspx

Thanks much Andy.

> > Am I to understand that turning one way its a 90 degree duty cycle for
> > a single tooths full passage, but its only a 45 degree duty cycle
> > when turning the reverse direction, or some such?
>
> There is a single fixed-width pulse for each tooth. And the width of
> the pulse encodes direction.

An admittedly rather cursory read fails to disclose what diffs there might
be between the H & L versions, looking to be pretty much interchangeable.

Both develop their outputs via a 100 ohm load r in series with the negative
lead, which is I assume sufficient to tickle a comparator to develop the
real, use it for a parport input signal to LinuxCNC.

This would be ideal for either of my machines spindles if limited angular
resolution can be tolerated given the available gear teeth in the spindle
housing of this toy lathe.  And I'd have to use the existing index
detector.

I'll have to lift the lid on the mill and see if there is room for a 6mm
thick (I doubt it very much) ferrous toothed disk to be added.  No ferrous
gears in that POJ to sense, darn it.

And I am thinking that an index for that could be obtained by drilling a 2
or 3mm hole in the added disk and setting a 2nd such device to sense the
hole going by.

Does that make any sense at all for this teeny mill?

I'd also assume

Cheers, Gene
Pray to God, but keep rowing to shore.
                -- Russian Proverb