On Wednesday 21 November 2012 16:05:50 andy pugh did opine:

> I have a rather interesting datasheet from Allegro. They have a sensor
> that detects either a magneic codewheel, or a gear tooth (with a
> biasing magnet behind the sensor).
> The neat part is that the pulse width is 45uS in one direction, and
> 90uS in the other.
> It is intended for crankshaft sensing, where index is done by a missing
> tooth.
>
> The typical code-wheel is a pressed steel part 100m diameter with a
> 70mm bore. This is pressed on to a hub with a 30mm bore in the case of
> the one I have on my desk at the moment.
>
> The encoding scheme seems compatible with software/parport sensing,
> and the form-factor seems ideal for a lathe spindle encoder.
>
> I wonder if it is worth adding support to the encoder driver?

A 100mm wheel is a bit large for my small lathe, but probably fine for the
9" and up stuff, and if its quadrature direction sensing too, or 2 sensors
could be made so, then it sounds like something that would be a heck of a
lot less fuss to install & make work.  IOW, a great idea Andy.

Cheers, Gene
Horace's best ode would not please a young woman as much as the mediocre
verses of the young man she is in love with.
                -- Moore