andy pugh wrote:
> On 22 November 2012 20:51, Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:
>

>> Generally, I just don't see the advantage of going to a single
>> sensor/single wire
>> scheme when there are so many potential pitfalls.
>>

> The single-wire is just a side-effect of using an encoder wheel that
> is readily available and has a big centre bore.
>
> To buy the crank code-wheel new is not that cheap ($100) but there
> ought to be many in the junkyards now. The correct pickups are less
> likely to exist, but those are $17.

The Allegro ATS667 series are about $6 each, but you need 3 for a
quadrature+index
scheme.  But, the advantage is you can use any available steel gear on
the spindle
as the encoder wheel.  That's what I did on my Bridgeport, used the
existing bull
gear inside the head.  I made a small dimple in the gear for the index
pickup.
This turns into a 324 count/rev encoder (81-tooth gear * 4 in quadrature.)

Jon