On Saturday 24 November 2012 00:21:24 andy pugh did opine:

> On 23 November 2012 14:26, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> >> The target wheels we have on our engines are _not_ ferrous. They are
> >> a magnetic track and the crank sensor has no internal magnet.
> >> (I can't find that actual sensor on the Allegro site).
> >
> > For a hall sensor to work, there must be a magnetic field for it to
> > sense.
>
> Yes, there is a ring of non-ferrous magnetic plastic stuff (like very
> thick cassette tape) round the periphery.

That is on the bottom disks edge in that pix?  I wondered about that, not
exactly the right color for freshly made metal.

> Basically just like this stuff:
> http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/high-accuracy-magnetic-linear-tape.html
> But applied to the disc prior to the the pattern being applied.
>
> > Not all steels are magnetic though
>
> Yes, I know. I have a PhD in ferrous metallurgy.

Better than my degree from UHK, and certainly 40 years fresher.  But the
technology does move on and and I wouldn't want to be 'caught out' anymore
than you would.  Discussion refreshes memories. Particularly mine. :D

> I've lost interest. Everyone with an opinon seems to think this is a
> bad idea. I have no need for it, so I won't bother.

I wasn't trying to say it was a bad idea Andy, on the contrary I believe it
can be made to work quit well with an additional index detector channel.
Half a cmos 556 (7556) set for about a 65 u-sec pulse triggered by the
leading edge, and a latch to latch the falling edges state and in should be
100% ready to a simple sampling circuit to grab the resultant dir output of
the latch.  Seems pretty simple, and possibly less error prone than the
quadrature decoder we have already.

Cheers, Gene
                -- Jay Gould