Sounds like this could be a major move forward.

I'm not wed to the full quadrature concept.

This sounds like it is almost an absolute encoder?  Or close?

I've got to get back to working on an SSI absolute encoder interface now
that I am back home.   Julian was working on a SSI interface on the
support forum using a Mesa 5i25 board, but it doesn't show
that it was completed.

I spent two weeks in Mexico and one in China starting up some machine
cells for an Automotive OEM.   It was not a vacation as we worked a lot
of hours with no days off.   But the weather was really nice.  Neither
the China or the Mexico plants had a heating or cooling system as the
weather is very mild in both locations.   Cold is 50 degrees F and hot
is 80 degrees F.   I could get used to that!  :-)

Now I find it is a little difficult dealing with 34F/1C and 30 mph winds
in Indiana, USA, after enjoying the nice weather in Mexico and China!

Dave