Ugh. This was a wild goose chase. After MUCH fiddling around, head
scratching, and hair pulling we finally threw our hands in the air and
punted. We 'stole' my dads Dell windows machine and put the hard drive of
the linux machine in it. Fired right up. Ugh. So 'something' is up with the
orig machine. It'll move axes fine in pncconf but linuxcnc won't start.

So sorry for the hassle Chris!  Peter, we'll look into the kernel log but
at the moment I just want to toss the thing out into the woods...  I have
some spare good machines at my house but didn't bring them to dad's house
(where we're doing the work.) This is my brothers gantry router and he's a
Linux guru so he just brought one of his old AMD machines (its still only a
couple years old and pretty darn fast.)  Oh well, live and learn.

The GOOD news is its all up and running!  So was fun spending time w my dad
and brother working down in the shop getting everything going. Its a good
family project. And now its time for some overdue bourbon or beer for
everyone :)