> >> DN2800MT will install XP, Probably Vista, W7 and Linux with graphics
> switched
> >> off. Enabling graphics in Linux seems to be hit and miss but basically
> there are
> >> no drivers for the Intel GMA 3600 graphics for Linux or XP but XP will
> run.
>
> to which Andy responded
>
> > I don't understand the problem. I just installed the LinuxCNC 2.5
> > LiveCD, and it works as expected.
> >
> > What do you mean by "enabling graphics"?
> >
> > I have only used it on the VGA connector, (plugged into my TV,
> > actually) but I get the normal Axis interface, and can run glxgears,
> > and mouse/keyboard response is entirely normal.
>
> I'm curious about the difference between Andy's remark "entirely normal"
> and your remark "slow and the resolution wrong with the generic driver".
> Is it related to VGA vs HDMI or perhaps to Andy apparently running
> Ubuntu 10.04LTS ("LinuxCNC 2.5 LiveCD") and you running 12.04LTS?

With a 24" screen connected through HDMI the default 12.04LTS install uses
a driver where the mouse cursor is flickering and graphics is obviously
slow (e.g. just dragging around windows, browsers, etc the screen update
while dragging is sluggish). It might be just barely usable, but it's not
very nice.
Googling for other linux experiences with the DN2800MT seems to turn up a
lot of problems and frustration - so it's probably best to avoid boards
with the cedarview graphics.

> Also, I have yet to run a program that obviously runs better in 64-bit
> versus 32-bit Linux. Is 64-bit really a criterion for you?

Not really. I have been using 64-bit installs on laptop/desktop for general
work for many years now I think. My desktop does have 16GB of RAM and the
laptop 4 or 8 GB. For linuxcnc use 32-bit is probably fine.

> Aside: Intel has preparing to launch Valley View in 2013. From
> Phoronix.com, "Valley View will see full Linux support and is looking to
> be fantastic: an Atom SoC with Ivy Bridge graphics." The winds of change
> keep on blowing.

They seem to have ITX-sized boards with LGA1155, using the same DC-input
jack. With an i3 processor that should run quite cool also. I think that is
what I will try next.

AW