On Wednesday 12 December 2012 10:06:41 John Stewart did opine:

> Hi Sven;
>
> I'm not saying you are wrong;  and I thank you for posting the results
> of your testing.

I will say it.  If its a 64 bit install, then it is not the rtai patched
kernel, and the results predictably will be poorer.

> > And today I did.
> > Running 2x2 GB RAM to maximize the I/O. Latency test, one glxgears and
> > a Firefox to linuxcnc resulted in 15 849. Turned the graphics
> > resolution down to 1024x768 and I was able to keep it a bit lower,
> > But only a bit as I passed 14 000 for the same test. I still don't
> > believe in you guys saying that a D525MW is able to stay below 10 000
> > in a latency test.

Neither of my machines has ever exceeded 8u-s, with only one stick of
memory in them, 2Gb IOW.  Latencyplot has been running on the lathes
machine for about an hour, base-thread peak is 5 u-s, servo-thread peak is
5 u-s.

> I don't think you changed the graphics driver just by lowering the
> latency.  I have not done much Linux stuff in years, but I'm wondering
> what X graphics driver you are using? Can you force the graphics driver
> into some VGA totally software render mode?
>
> Also remote into it, and run it as a headless station. I should do this
> and see how it performs. Maybe next time I have a few hours around the
> house (hah! not in the next few weeks…) I'll run that test.
>
> > One thing though, I filled one of the boards with 8 GB RAM (2x4). That
> > board is running 64 bit Ubuntu in the office and it happily reported 8
> > GB even though the hardware spec says max 4 GB. It seems that 4 GB is
> > a soft limit.
>
> Running a 32 bit kernel? I don't think you'll be able to address over 4g
> via sw.  Maybe they expect people to run windows, not Linux!
>
> Interesting that you can put the RAM in, as like you, I had assumed that
> it was not just a SW limit.
>
> Thanks;
>
> John A. Stewart.

A 64 bit linux that has a problem with even 64Gb of ram should have a bug
report filed.  32 bit however has to jump through some time consuming
hoops.

Cheers, Gene
If society fits you comfortably enough, you call it freedom.
                -- Robert Frost
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...