On Wednesday 12 December 2012 18:22:00 Sven Wesley did opine:

> 2012/12/12 Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com>
>
> > I will say it.  If its a 64 bit install, then it is not the rtai
> > patched kernel, and the results predictably will be poorer.
>
> Read my post again. There are two different PC's involved in my tests.
> One is now installed with 64 bit Ubuntu - not LinuxCNC. The other one
> is installed with LinuxCNC.

Ahh,  sorry, I missed that detail.  My apologies.

> > Neither of my machines has ever exceeded 8u-s, with only one stick of
> > memory in them, 2Gb IOW.  Latencyplot has been running on the lathes
> > machine for about an hour, base-thread peak is 5 u-s, servo-thread
> > peak is 5 u-s.
>
> Well, good for you and I would be glad to share that experience. But the
> fact remains, I have two D5252MW's and none of them have been close to
> your levels. Did you push the hardware? Did you start a download, a
> browser, glxgears? if I let it idle of course it will look good. That
> is not realistic though and as I have stated earlier it's enough to
> start a Firefox to totally destroy the figures. Looks a lot better now
> when both memory banks are used, still double up from your latency.
> I wonder if this board has changed too much over releases, maybe we
> don't have the same hardware if we dig into the board itself.

Now that I wouldn't doubt for more than 50 milliseconds.  I bought these
two about 6 months apart, and brought both of them up to the latest bios
(that is important), but the newest one, running my lathe, does good to get
a 2 week uptime, it can go away, and has many times, doing a self reboot.
The screen goes dark without warning & the next thing I see 7 or 8 secs
later in the bios signing on.  I can't remember the last time I rebooted
the earlier one running the mill.

> > > I don't think you changed the graphics driver just by lowering the
> > > latency.  I have not done much Linux stuff in years, but I'm
> > > wondering what X graphics driver you are using? Can you force the
> > > graphics driver into some VGA totally software render mode?

The linux/intel driver that Ubuntu auto-installs, and that part seems to be
bullet-proof, running in 1680x1050 32 bit mode.  On both machines.

> > > Also remote into it, and run it as a headless station. I should do
> > > this and see how it performs. Maybe next time I  > >
> > >
> > > Running a 32 bit kernel? I don't think you'll be able to address
> > > over 4g via sw.  Maybe they expect people to run windows, not
> > > Linux!
> > >
> > > Interesting that you can put the RAM in, as like you, I had assumed
> > > that it was not just a SW limit.

I'd put another 2Gb stick in each of mine, just on general principles, but
I'd have to net order it, staples sent them out for 5 micron gold flash &
doubled the newegg price.

> > > Thanks;
> > >
> > > John A. Stewart.
> >
> > A 64 bit linux that has a problem with even 64Gb of ram should have a
> > bug report filed.  32 bit however has to jump through some time
> > consuming hoops.
>
> I wrote soft limit. Not software limit. The board specification says max
> 4 GB RAM and it can be rewritten into "is only guaranteed to work with
> 4 GB, but can handle more on your own risk". The board itself is a 64
> bit architecture. The software limit theoretically for a 64 bit system
> is 2^64 bytes (16 exabytes). I have a bunch of blade servers at the
> office with 300+ GB RAM.
> I did the remote test earlier (also reported to this list) and the
> figures are better. Have in mind that half of this list will stupidify
> you if you suggest running two PC's at the same time.
> The graphics driver of this board share memory with the OS, when going
> down in resolution it will affect the memory usage. The desktop also
> becomes a bit more responsive but looks like crap in the lower res when
> the same monitor is used. Nevertheless it was no real performance
> impact. I can watch HD video on my cell phone but not on these PC's.
> Probably they will be used as automation controllers, end up in a CNC
> cabinet will not happen.
>
> Regards,
> Sven

Cheers, Gene
The world really isn't any worse.  It's just that the news coverage
is so much better.
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...