2013/1/8 Peter C. Wallace <p...@mesanet.com>:

> Sounds like you have a severe noise issues, which is not terribly surprising
> with 11M motor cables.
>
> First thing I would do would be to add a common mode choke around the U/V/W
> Motor wires at each 7I39 end of the motor cable: Laird-Signal Integrity
> Products 28B1122-100 is a good choice here.

Ok, I will try to find some place, where to obtain ferrite rings. One
shop did not have them, the others were already closed, so I will try
them tomorrow morning. I guess that visiting places that fix different
electronics stuff also might work - they might have something to pull
these things out, so I will try my luck finding some of them as well.

> Another thing to do is increase the encoder filtering if you have not already
> done this:
>
> See the hostmot2 manual page, raw mode section (you need to enable
> raw-mode)
>
> Don't know if there's a HAL example of using raw-write but here's an
> approximation:
>
> setp hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.write-address 13312 # (0x3400)
> setp hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.write-data 8   (divide/10)
> setp hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.write-strobe TRUE

I added enable_raw to config string right after number of encoder
modules to be loaded in top of ini file and copied the above 3 lines
in main HAL file. The thing is that I receive error message that pin
hm2_5i23.0.write-address is not found. I tried also write_address
instead of write-address, but still the same. Any ideas?

The encoder has 4000 PPR and motor will not spin faster than 50
revolutions per second, so that is 200 kHz max count rate. I guess
that adding a little safety margin would be smart, so what write_data
value I need to set filter time constant at 6 usec?

> Other things
>
> Shielded motor wires

Not implemented. I did not find any 4-lead multistrand wires with
shielding, where each lead would be at least 0.5 mm^2. So I went for
unshielded 0.75 mm^2 4-lead wires.

What is the idea behind it? To prevent noise being induced in motor
wires or to keep noise being induced by the current in motor wires? I
mean - keep the noise out of motor wires or keep it inside and not let
out?

> shielded encoder cables (differential signals on twisted pairs) shield
> terminated at 7I39 (differential adapter) end and open at motor end

Both of them are implemented - encoder signal is differential, cable
is shielded, connected to ground on a clamp right on case of control
box - that is the point, where all the ground wires meet.

> Forgot to say: the Hall wires should also be shielded
> and since they are single ended you may need to add a
> .1 uF capacitor from each Hall pin to Gnd at the 7I39 end
> of the cable

It already has a shield - they are share the same cable with encoder signals.
I will try to find a place to obtain capacitors.

2013/1/8 Bruce Layne <linux...@thinkingdevices.com>:
> The first thing I'd do is get a digital storage
> oscilloscope and observe all of the signals - motor power, Hall effect
> signals, encoder signals, any control signals.

I have been thinking about purchase of oscilloscope for a long time.
So far their pricing have seemed too much for me, so I have not
obtained it and unfortunately have insufficient funds to do it now.
Thanks for the reminder though! I guess that having oscilloscope would
allow me to see, where exactly the noise is - is it hall signal,
encoder or whatever else...

--
Viesturs

If you can't fix it, you don't own it.