On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 2:59 PM, sam sokolik <sa...@empirescreen.com> wrote:

> our big machine has 1 limit and 1 home  machine for each axis - but a
> cam on each end of travel.  (so 1 switch is used for both ends of travel)
>
> my mill has a single limit switch for x and y so you can't tell which
limit it hit.  I am partway through adding a home switch to X and I'm going
to do the same thing to Y.  I am just happier having the limits actually be
limits.  I think the reason people like to use limits for homing is that
then you never have to figure out which way to go to the home switch.

Lots of discussion of homing and limits in the archives to this email list,
it's worth looking through that.