Right.. the safety regs say that you can do what you need to bring the
machine to safe stop, but in the end the power has to be dumped to the
drives or they need to go into a
STO condition - Safe Torque Off mode.

The big thing is that the safety controls are suppose to override the
normal controls, so you can't (or are not suppose to) rely on the
general machine controls to stop the machine safely.

This is why safety rated controllers (PLCs) are becoming so popular.  It
is difficult, to near impossible to do this with conventional safety relays.

The entire safety discussion becomes complex with you are trying to stop
moving machinery that has multiple intelligent devices.

Then again a lot of it depends on the insurance company  and what they
require.

Trying to stay on top of the latest government safety requirements can
be a full time job.

I have a large CNC lathe that has contactors wired in between the servo
drives and the motors and on an Estop, the contactors drop out and the 3
phase servo motor windings are shorted together to stop the motors.

I have never had to Estop that lathe during a move - so far!

Dave