On 18.02.13 12:13, John Kasunich wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013, at 10:06 AM, John Thornton wrote:
> > Another thing I dislike about the mailing list is all the ads that get
> > tacked onto each message like this:
>
> If you are trimming your posts, you are also trimming the ads.
> It took me about three seconds to click my mouse near the top
> of this message (after the part I wanted to keep), drag it
> to the bottom, and hit the delete key.

There's much to recommend that, but when the poster isn't up to it,
there are always tools. We're tool users, after all¹. If we don't want
to set up a tool like t-prot to automatically trim advertising footers
on this list, because the ads fund our free list, then there are
additional conveniences, beyond cropping long quotes.

For the case of long quotes with interspersed replies, we can within
mutt:

1) Display quoted text in a different colour, which helps a bit.
   (I expect GUI MUAs can do that too.)

2) Zap straight to the next chunk of reply, skipping the quoted gumpf.
   (Just hit S, and (pages of) untrimmed quotes are instantly scrolled
   out of sight.)

With enough verbiage-mulching gear, it's quite possible to maintain
equanimity in the face of deteriorating netiquette, and even fake
tolerance of it.

Apropos ads, I visited Avrfreaks once. Talk about ads - those flashy
jiggling and bopping things which appear on fora are so egregious that
the only way I ever find myself on one now is as the result of a google
hit. And a requirement to log in is anathema.

Erik

¹ And the discipline of quote trimming wasn't taught in school. ;-)

--
One man's constant is another man's variable.
                                                - A.J. Perlis