On Saturday 23 March 2013 21:39:26 Przemek Klosowski did opine:

> On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > I've fixed and potrace'd to an eps file that looks ok when imported
> > into gimp, of the handle outline of the cocking piece in a BP rifle.
> > I was under the impression that we had something that could take this
> > .eps file and make gcode out of it, but I'll be dipped if I can
> > recall its name.
>
> I recommend using potrace within Inkscape (import the bitmap and
> select Path->Trace Bitmap). From Inkscape you can save in any number
> of vector formats, including AutoCAD DXF. There's also a Gcode output
> driver for Inkscape:
> http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?InkscapeHowto

All of these seem to need way more memory to work without an OOM tummy
ache, on either the mill with 2G dram, or on this box with 4G dram.  PyCAM
just took an OOM exit after running this machine 850 megs into swap, so
this box is crawling on its belly.

It turns out that pstoedit can do it in 5 seconds, generating code I can
manipulate to rotate and size, and convert into a o100 while/endwhile to
carve it full depth.  Just what the Dr ordered.

Unforch, my stock of brass is .375" thick, and I need the part to be about
0.190" thick, at least that portion that rides in the slot.  But those
details are fairly minor compared to tracing the outline in the first
place.

Cheers, Gene
My views
BOFH excuse #139:

UBNC (user brain not connected)
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...